Baron Rowen has reviewed the bylaws and made changes to the numbering and made the terminology consistent. Please review and let me know if there are any additional changes by the 8th please. I will not be back near a computer by then, so please accept this as the final publication of the bylaws before the business meeting.
The Canton of Black Icorndall does hereby establish the following Bylaws to provide for their internal governance and the preservation of their traditions and territory.
A) Voting in the Canton is broken down into two categories:
B) Formal votes must be announced at least ten (10) days prior to a Canton Business Meeting. The announcement may come via the Canton newsletter and/or the Canton email list and/or the Canton website.
1. Only paid members residing in the Canton zip codes aged fourteen (14) years or older or non-resident officers may vote in formal Canton votes.
2.Absentee ballots are permitted. The ballot must be made available at the time of announcement. Proxy ballots are not permitted.
C) Informal votes are defined as not being controlled by Society, Kingdom, or these Bylaws. Such votes are by show-of-hands. Informal votes are not required to be published beforehand.
A) All meetings, practices, and activities of the Canton of Black Icorndall shall be open to the public.
B) Canton Business Meetings
1. Meetings must be regularly scheduled, formally announced via the Canton newsletter and/or the Canton email list and/or the Canton web site and held at least quarterly. Cancellations must be published at least ten (10) days in advance of the cancelled meeting.
2. All Canton Business Meetings shall be presided over by the Canton Seneschal or his/her designate.
3. A majority of the Required Officers must be present for Canton Business Meeting to be official.
A) Any event which uses Canton funds shall be subject to the approval of the Seneschal and the Canton Finance Committee.
B) All budgets are subject to review by the Canton Finance Committee.
C) The Event Steward shall be deemed an officer of the Canton from the time when the bid is accepted until 30 days after the event when all reports are due.
1. The Event Steward must report at each business meeting after the approval of their bid until the event occurs and all related work has been completed, which is expected within 30 days of the event.
2. The Event Steward must submit a final report at the business meeting following the event after the 30 day deadline.
A) Officer terms are two (2) years , with optional two (2) year renewals.
1. The Officer will announce his or her intent to extend the term at least one (1) business meeting prior to the end of their current term. This may be announced via the Canton web site and/or the Canton email list and/or the Canton newsletter.
B) Any officer wishing to step down shall tender their resignation to the Canton Seneschal and their responsible Kingdom Officer. The vacancy will be announced at the next regularly scheduled Canton Business Meeting.
1. Nominations are due at least ten (10) days before the Canton Business Meeting and must be submitted to the Seneschal and the Canton email list.
2. Contested nominations are subject to a formal vote.
3. Uncontested nominations may be decided by informal vote.
C) All Officers must report on the activities of their Office either in person at the Canton Business Meeting or via email to the Seneschal and – if applicable – the Chronicler before each business meeting.
1. If three consecutive reports are not received, the office shall be considered vacant after confirmation of the vacancy by an informal vote.
2. The appropriate kingdom officer will be notified of the vacancy by the Seneschal, unless the office in question is the Seneschal’s office, in which case the Exchequer shall make the notification.
D) In the event an immediate replacement for a vacant office is not available, a majority of the required officers has the authority to appoint an acting replacement. An office may remain vacant unless it is one of the Minimum Required Offices.
E) Any East Kingdom Subject who is reasonably qualified for a Canton Office may offer his or her candidacy to fill a vacancy. This includes the Canton Officer whose term is expiring, who may submit intent to renew their office.
A) Finance Committee
1. Is comprised of the following:
a. The Canton Seneschal
b. The Canton Chancellor of the Exchequer
c. Anyone present at the meeting who is also permitted to participate in a formal vote.
2. Must review all event proposals before a bid can be accepted by the Seneschal.
3. Is required to approve all expenditures of Canton Funds for non-event related expenses. Approval is defined as being 2/3 majority of the Finance Committee.
B) The Canton may at any time, by passage of a motion at a Canton Business Meeting, establish any and all Committees it deems necessary for the furtherance of its activities.
A) The text of a proposed amendment of these Bylaws shall be published on the Canton web site, on the Canton email list, and in the Canton newsletter (if available) two (2) months before voting, defined as two regular business meetings before the business meeting in which the vote occurs, and will be reviewed at both Canton Business Meetings between the time of publication and the business meeting at which the vote occurs.
1. Any paid member of the Canton may submit an amendment.
2. Amendments must be passed by a majority in a Formal Vote in order to be accepted. Written absentee ballots will be honored.